Thursday, August 9, 2007

Pomegranite Thread - #814 DMC

Many of us know people or are people who have struggled with conceiving or maintaining pregnancies. Over the last six and a half years when I see pregnant women, I often wonder "was it easy for them or did they struggle through their process just as I have". I've often wished for some secret nod or look or something that would indicate the connection that we may have. Well, obviously many other women who are a part of this community have felt the same way. There is a subtle movement in place that will help open communication within the fertility challenged community and awareness to those outside of it. This movement is to purchase Pomegranite Thread #814 DMC (embroidery thread), braid it and tie it around your right wrist. Through this, women can better support each other through this emotional journey and others, inquiring as to it's meaning, will become more aware of the struggle that affects 1 in 8 couples. Just wanted to share this with you.

For anyone who has ever had a miscarriage, struggled with pregnancy, and all things infertile...there is a movement upon us that you might want to join. It's rather simple actually: a discreet ribbon on your right wrist to signal to others that they are not alone in their struggles. The pomegranate-colored thread holds a two-fold purpose: to identify and create community between those experiencing infertility as well as create a starting point for a conversation. Women pregnant through any means, natural or A.R.T., families created through adoption or surrogacy, or couples trying to conceive during infertility or secondary infertility can wear the thread, identifying themselves to others in this silent community. At the same time, the string serves as a gateway to conversations about infertility when people inquire about its purpose. These conversations are imperative if we are ever to remove the social stigma attached to infertility. Tie on the thread because you’re not alone. Wear to make aware. Join us in starting this conversation about infertility by purchasing this pomegranate-coloured thread #814 by DMC . Tie it on your right wrist. Notice it on others.
Pomegranates, a longstanding symbol of fertility, serve as a strong analogy to those suffering through infertility. Though each pomegranate skin is unique in colour and texture, the seeds inside are remarkably similar from fruit to fruit. Though our diagnosis is unique—endometriosis, low sperm count, luteal phase defect, or causes unknown—the emotions, those seeds on the inside, are the same from person to person. Infertility creates frustration, anger, depression, guilt, and loneliness. Compounding these emotions is the shame that drives people suffering from infertility to retreat into silence.In addition, the seeds represent the multitude of ways one can build their family: natural conception, treatments, adoption, third-party reproduction, or even choosing to live child-free.The pomegranate thread holds a two-fold purpose: to identify and create community between those experiencing infertility as well as create a starting point for a conversation. Women pregnant through A.R.T., families created through adoption, or couples trying to conceive during infertility can wear the thread, identifying themselves to others in this silent community. At the same time, the string serves as a gateway to conversations about infertility when people inquire about its purpose. These conversations are imperative if we are ever to remove the social stigma attached to infertility. Tie on the thread because you’re not alone. Wear to make aware.

I had a request for some information as to where this started. Here is the website: http://stirrup-queens.blogspot.com/2006/09/history-of-infertilitys-common-thread.html
Thanks! :)

5 butterfly kisses:

GG said...

Jamie, what a wonderful treatise on infertility. I am so proud of you for all that you do to not let this defeat you. My heart aches for you but heartaches don't accomplish anything, I know. Since I am not female I can't wear this braided thread bracelet. But I will go to the store and buy this particular embroidery thread and just keep it on display in my living room so that if anyone asks about it I can tell them the story. I also have 2 pomegranate trees in my backyard. Grandma always loved pomegranates and insisted we buy a couple for our back yard. When they got mature enough to bear we bought a pomegranate press and squeeed the juice and she made jelly from it which was delicious. The neighbor kids always begged for the fruit and would dig each little seed out and savor it. In the past few years I have neglected those trees because I don't press the juice or eat the fruit and right now they are looking very sad. But now I will take better care of them by going to the nursery and finding out what I can feed them to replenish them. If the noble pomegranate tree can be the symbol of helping to diminish the pain of barren women then the trees need to enjoy a place of honor in my backyard and once again be revered by me just like your Grandma used to revere those trees.

One more little thing. The front yard of our church convention grounds was hedged by pomegranate trees that bore fruit wildly. Every year at convention the women would harvest the fruit and take out each little seed and add them to cabbage slaw for the meals during convention. It not only was delicious but beautiful with the green cabbage and red seeds. Grandma experienced all of that as a child because her grandma and Grandpa Carter owned the convention grounds and had their home there and she grew up loving the trees and the fruit. Grandma would make the slaw for us too. It broke her heart before she died when some of the workers pulled up the trees by the roots because they felt they needed the space for putting cafeteria tables on the lawn. So pomegranate trees have long had a place in our life even though you may not have been aware of it.
I love you my dear first born grandchild. Love, GG

Jamie said...

Gramps ~
I, too, have very fond memories of the pomegranite trees at convention. Every year I looked forward to picking them and eating the seeds...one by one.. Mom never really liked it though since the juice from them would stain our clothes. :) I LOVED how they tasted and always wondered why on earth God would make something so delicious that took so much time to get to the fruit. Wow...I think I just had a revelation! :)
Thank you Grandpa for your continued support. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when your visitors ask about the pomegranite embroidery thread. :) They have no idea what they're in for!!
Love you!
Jamie

Nonnie said...

What a wonderful movement. So glad you shared, and I would be interested to know where you heard about it.
Maybe we can do our part, (since some of us would not be wearing the thread), by posting a thread about it on our blogs, so anyone that visits knows about it. Is there a website? And, by doing what GG is doing, having it displayed somewhere, that it might bring awareness.
Ly

Debbie said...

Jamie, you are such a strong woman. This is a great movement for the other strong women out there. I am not able to support by wearing a bracelet, but will support with prayers and any other way that I can. I do have some friends who have gone through some of this, and I will pass this movement/story onto them. Thank you for sharing.

Cory said...

I think this is so amazing Jame. I have fond memories of pomegranates at convention too as well as how difficult it was to actually get to the delicious seeds. Gramps I love your memories about grams. I miss her so much. Grandpa I love your passion for helping in whatever way you can.
Jamie you are such a strong woman. I love you soooo much and wish that you never had to know about any of this. However, I can't help but feel that others are really going to benefit through you, because of all that you have been through and all that you have learned.