Monday, August 13, 2007

First blog ever by Matt


I decided since a lot of the people who read Jamie’s blog also donated to my bike ride this year, I would provide a quick update here…This is the 2nd year that I rode my bicycle for the American Diabetes Association. Last year my brother Eric, niece Samantha, and myself, completed the Ride. This year, due to an injury, just my brother and I rode. Since we were riding a bit further this year, we decided to rent Road Bikes instead of using our Mountain Bikes like we did last year. All I can say is it makes a world of difference. The bike itself probably weighed as much as my mountain bike’s back wheel alone, which made the hills a tad easier.

The ride is called the Summit to Surf and takes place in Oregon. The route follows highway 26 on Mt. Hood and ends down in Hood River. We started just outside of Welches, Oregon at about 1500 feet and rode about 24 miles to the top of Bennett Pass which is at about 5700 feet. That, by far, was the toughest part of the 52 mile trip. The rest of the ride has some nice downhill sections that are both breathtaking and fast. The majority of the ride is through tall pine tree lined roads and as you come down off the mountain you pass vineyards, farms, apple orchards and from several locations you can see the Summit of Timberline behind you. We finished with all our parts attached (lost a pedal last year) and even had my Mom and Samantha to congratulate us at the finish line.

Our team goal was $500.00 and I’m happy to say we surpassed that with $630.00 in total donations. The Ride itself was able to raise over $300,000 for the fight against Diabetes. All in all we had a great time and I am already looking forward to this ride next year and hopefully a couple of others before then.

It is always fun to spend this time with my brother and nice to see my family too. Thank you to everyone who supported us in this Ride and for helping make it a success.

5 butterfly kisses:

GG said...

Hey Matt, my dear grandson-in-law, you did a great job on reporting on your ride to benefit the fund raising for diabetes. The accompanying photos were beautiful. I am glad you reached the monetary goal that you pledged. Sorry that Samantha suffered an injury before the race ever began. I know that was a great disappointment not getting to ride with her two uncles. Glad you are back home safe and sound and all in one piece, Matthew. I am proud of you for putting forth the effort and expended energy to raise $$for this widespread disease which also affects two of our own immediate family. Thank you Matt for helping victims of this disease not only in our family but throughout the country. It is a noble effort you participate in and I love you even more for doing so. GG

tia said...

beautiful pics matt! i am proud of you brother...especially for making it back with all of your parts attached!

Beth said...

i'm proud of you guys, too! i know what you guys put into this ride, and it's great to see how fulfilling the ride really is for you both! hopefully jamie can be here next year, and we can meet you guys at the finish line! it was great to see you, and i know it means so much to eric to spend brother time with you, i'm glad you two have made this a tradition!

Nonnie said...

Thaks for sharing Mattie! It would be great if Bryan and I could time it so that we could also be at the finish line cheering for you! I think it is so great that you do this, and I know that you enjoy the process. Glad you got to use both pedals this year! :)

Cory said...

Matty,
Looks like some beautiful country in those pictures. Although if I were riding that many miles uphill I would probably be cussing at every tree I saw no matter how beautiful it was :)
I am really proud of you too. It is so great that you have committed so much of yourself to this cause. I love you brother!!!