Thursday, April 12, 2007

Resurrection






From the depths of abuse and torture ~ confined for more than 15 years to the elements of "life" in a hot dusty garage...lost beneath the mounds of items too treasured to part with...my wooden rocking horse that my dad crafted for me during my toddler years was resurrected! It certainly got it's share of use and abuse when I was young, but when I was in high school a couple of my sister's friends were messing around on it and my poor little horse's head and neck were splintered down the middle. I remember shedding some tears over this treasure of mine that I knew would never be the same. I was angry at those stupid boys! I was especially sad because it was something my dad had so tenderly made for me ~ there was love involved.
As always life went on, I moved away from home and in the meantime my family moved to another state. It was many years later, as I was rumaging through their garage that I saw my old rocking horse again (surprised for some reason that it was still around). All of the old feelings of sorrow came rushing back. How I wished it were whole, how I wished that those boys hadn't ruined my horse, so that maybe ~ someday~ it could be passed on to my children to enjoy as much as I had. I remember expressing this to my dad and a few months later , much to my surprise, he told me that he was pretty sure we could bring this horse back into existence. He had a plan for it. I was thrilled!!
Well, he had also started a tradition of crafting cradles and toy boxes for his grandchildren. So, if you're at all familiar with the rate at which my sisters are having babies you can imagine how long my poor little horse has taken a back seat! But I would see the improvements that were being made...slowly but surely. Well, it was getting really close to being completed a few months ago when Brittni announced she was pregnant ~ I figured once again the cradle would take priority over my horse...not that I was really in any rush to get it. But my dad suprised me a few weeks ago when he took me out into the garage and there it was...exactly as I had remembered it (except much sturdier!) All I could do was cry, becasue it was perfect and it meant so much to me that my dad took the time and energy to re-create this special gift for me. He put in so much hard work and creativity to ensure that it was even better than before. He sanded the stain down for hours and hours, just to re-stain it the same color it was 30 years ago. Now, because of his willingness to give me back this treasure, I will be able to see the joy in my children as they "ride it away into the sunset". So here it is...in all it's glory ~ resurrected! Isn't it beautiful!

8 butterfly kisses:

Simplicity Wins said...

Oh Jamie...what sweet memories, what a great treasure. There is something so special about holding ontot a treasure from your past. Enjoy it.

Debbie said...

Jamie, your touching story brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful gift for you. The simple things are the ones that mean the most to the heart. Enjoy your horse!

jessamyn said...

It's gorgeous! And so are you.

Beth said...

it's beautiful, jamie! the horse, and the story! that's so great, i know how excited you were about it, it's perfect.

Nonnie said...

Your Dad worked really hard on this little horse to bring him back to perfection! I remember the weeks it took him to get all the stain off, and then he went into making him more sturdy. obviously, your Dad knew this little horse had a very appreciative and loving owner!
I am so happy to see that he has given up his place on the shelf in the garage, to look so beautiful and appreciated in the home of the little girl who loves him.

tia said...

it looks so beautiful! our dad - wow! - what a special man. i am glad you got your treasured horse back....by the way were you speaking of my friends? oh the guilt i feel!

Cory said...

Jamie you are such a bundle of love and care!! You really "feel" life and have passion for so many things. I am sure that little horsie is sooo glad to be home.

GG said...

Oh, Jamie, your story made me cry. You took me into the garage on Saturday before Easter and showed me your resurrected horse. I knew then how much your Dad's efforts meant to you. He is such a special man who quietly goes about in his own way without any fanfare to move the hearts of those he loves and who love him. He is my one and only son-in-law and I hit the jackpot with him. And you????you are a gentle heart who moves through this world leaving kindnesses in your wake for others to enjoy. I am privileged to have both you and your Dad to love.

GG