Thursday, June 5, 2008

And then you lose your job...

Yes, it's true. Tuesday our division informed us that due to the hardship of our economy all of the designers would be let go. Technically my last day is the 13th after a long week of installing our last remaining project. Funny how that worked out!
While we all knew that this was a possibility (they had already let two designers go since the beginning of the year), we had just received a new project and were in the middle of preparing for a presentation. We certainly were not expecting this right now. I had in my mind that eventually leaving my job would be under my terms. I would work up until "our baby" came and then be at home. The timing of this isn't quite what we had planned for. And actually...it's not really about the money so much (while some adjustments must be made), the difficult part of it for me has been about the people I have come to know and build relationships with over the past 8 years of being in the design industry. Not only the people that I work with directly, but our vendors who I work so closely with and have for a long time. I knew that when I eventually left my job as a designer, I would most likely not return to the design field once I went back to work (if I decided to). So, this abrupt change in my life is kind of the end of an "era" for me. I won't ever work in this industry again and even though that's my decision, it's still been what I've done for the last 8 years....and it just feels a little bit strange. I must say, I feel a little bit sad. I've never been in this situation before.
I know that everything happens for a reason. I was very ready for change in my life...I just didn't know it was going to be my job...but I am going to embrace what this change means for me and take some time to find my new direction. Whatever that might be.
I know from being on the building end of the economy and also seeing what Matt's going through on the finance end of the economy that our world is a little scarey right now. I just want you all to know that I hope you and your families are pulling through okay and I pray that this little black cloud that seems to be hovering over us right now soon lifts.
Let's all take care of each other. :)

9 butterfly kisses:

Brittni said...

"Let's take care of each other." I love that! I am sorry that your change had to happen when you weren't quit ready for it but the possibilities are endless for you out in the world. With change comes excitement for those things yet to come. It is hard to leave those you have come to be so close with and it is sad to leave something behind that has been in your life for so long. Not to mention that you are so good at what you do!!!! I know your friendships will stay with you and you never know when those bridges you have formed will come in handy! I love you sister and you have been in my thoughts more often then you know!

cassie said...

it is amazing that something you really needed just got handed directly to you! believe me i understand the sadness that comes with ending an 8 year job and feeling separate from the friendships that were made along the way. i love that you are ready to evaluate what comes next for you and i am sorry that you are sad. i sure do love you!

Debbie said...

I also love the line "Let's take care of each other". Once again you have amazed me with your perspective on life. Even though this did not happen the way you want, hopefully your path will be known to you soon and you can find some comfort. I think about your guys often and will just increase those prayers a little bit more! :)

kimberly said...

that is what i am thankful for...the family that we have...the "taking care of each other", that just seems to be the way we live and think....and for that i am so very grateful......thinking of you so much, sweet daughter....and hoping that this opens up new beginnings...
xo

Vonda said...

I had all those same feelings when I was offered a "retirement package" I couldn't refuse! It was sooo scary!! But it didn't take long for me to readjust!
I do hope you find joy and satisfaction in your new ventures. Just look at your Mom and all the things she has done!

Joni said...

I was in the same boat two years ago when our grocery store was forced to close the doors, we just couldn't compete with the big chain stores...I was very sad to be leaving behind co-workers, friends, and customers who I had come to care for so much...many of them I watched grow up...but when change happens I have usually found it to be a blessing in disguise even though adjustments have to be made. I remember packing up my desk with tears and then by the time I drove home I made the decision to go back to school and then voila...here I am...no regrets...and I'm like you, I think things happen for a reason, so prepare yourself for some life-growth experiences and embrace this opportunity, wonderful things await I'm sure of it! *wink

SweetAnnee said...

Every new beginning comes from other beginning's end.
Open the door for your's

love and prayers,
Deena

Cory said...

Jam, I too am sorry that this happened. Geez sometime life really stinks!!! But your right, things do happen for a reason and I for one am excited to see what lies ahead for you dear sister. You are truly one AMAZING woman. I love you so much!!!!

Annette said...

I'm sorry and I'm sure it isnt easy but I too am a firm believer that things do happen for a reason but I'm sure something exciting is about to happen in your life, and the friendships you developed along the way are some excellent memories, and what a blessing you have been to others, you'r very intellegent and your work is awesome by the looks of your nursery. This chapter of your book of life may end but a new is about to be written!! God will bless you he takes care of us, as you know I'm sure.
God bless.
Annette