Saturday, March 10, 2007

It's a Ducky Day!


What a joy to wake up to ducks in our pool! :) We watched them for nearly 1/2 an hour as they paddled around, ducking their heads under to splash water on their backs. They got in, got out, got back in, and for the most part the Mallard hen was copying everything the drake did. I found it fascinating to watch them. I knew from being at the park a few weeks ago that it was definitely mating season. As they got out of the pool for the last time, it seemed very obvious that they were looking for somewhere to nest and that this was the drake who had "conquered them all". I was glad to see that he was doing all the work, looking for the perfect haven for her, paddling around so that she would just be swept in his current and didn't have to use much energy. Due to the violent and brutal mating rituals ducks exhibit, I was surprised he had even stayed around...or that she kept him around for that matter! But...who am I to judge. She had obviously forgiven him so I decided not to hold it against him either. Secretly I hoped that our environment would be just what they were looking for, but since the harsh freeze this year our yard is anything but lush. He searched and searched, but nothing was good enough for his queen. They flew away without another thought and I can't help but feel that I somehow let them down.

6 butterfly kisses:

Cory said...

Jamie I think you are one of the kindest human beings alive. You take the world on your shoulders sister!!! This blog is a reminder to enjoy those simple moments of each day. Thank you.

jessamyn said...

I love your writing...but I love your heart even more! You didn't let these creatures down. They knew what they had to do and you were a special stop along their journey. Wish I could have seen them.

jessamyn said...

Hey Jamie let me know when you are comfortable putting your blog as a link on my page, k! Other people need to read this stuff.

Beth said...

What a simple yet rare thing to see in your own backyard!! wish i could have been there......

Heather said...

hey jamie, this is Beth's sister Heather. I really like your posts, my sister has always said what a wonderful person you are, and I agree. You should be a writer!

Nonnie said...

What a cool picture!!!! And I am sure you provided what they needed at the time!!!! Otherwise they wouldn't have stopped and stayed so long! :)